Friday, August 29, 2008

My New Job

I have the most exciting new job! After a series of pretty typical jobs, I happened upon an opportunity to accompany a couple of choirs associated with Children's Choir of Chico. This organization was started about 8 years ago by Susan Tevis, the main conductor, who is an absolute musical genius with a number of prestigious music degrees. She is wonderful to work with and fascinating to watch. I am constantly amazed at her ability to help the children and women produce such a high caliber of musicality when many of them don't even know how to read music. It is so exciting!


Bel Canto
Here is a picture of Bel Canto, the 6 grade through High School choir that I accompany. They are fun kids who enjoy singing and socializing together. Susan works a lot with them in Solfege (do re mi fa sol la ti) which is a favorite of mine from college days. They have lots of energy and keep you on your toes. There is also a nice variety of students which include a number of home schoolers :) We have an overnight retreat coming up soon which should be a great opportunity to get to know all of them better
Bella Voce
This is a perfect example of our women's choir. They are a really fun group of students, moms, grandmas, etc. that love to escape for awhile together to talk and sing. Sometimes our practices are filled with more giggling than singing :) We have some beautiful pieces we're working on and I'm looking forward to showing them off at our concert this fall.

The best thing about this new position is that it brings me back to what I love to do...music! I didn't realize how much I missed being in a musical atmosphere until I started going to rehearsals. It feels so good to be back! This job also gives me a lot of flexibility which is perfect to accommodate my growing little piano studio. It is so nice to not only be working but also loving it as well.


2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so excited for you Kimmy! Congratulations!

Love you.

Walker Family said...

Kim, your new job sound just perfect for you! I know we didn't get to know each other very well in Rexburg, but I think this blogging thing will help! You guys are great!