Sunday, October 31, 2010

A "Taste" of Halloween

I thought it fitting that I finished Bram Stoker's "Dracula" today of all days! I have to admit that the book freaked me out a bit and more than once as I've walked from my parent's house to our adjacent apartment at night I've convinced myself that I feel something breathing down my neck, ready to pounce. And though I felt silly the other night when I went to close our curtain, I found myself imagining Count Dracula crawling face down, lizard like, down the side of our house---like he does many times in the book. Crazy, I know but this is how the book starts to mess with your mind! My head has been swirling for days with Dr. Van Helsing, the three voluptuous "wives" of Dracula, and the poor, blood sucked victims. Oh...and on a side note, Count Dracula is not some suave, debonair character that sweeps everyone off their feet like the watered down teen heartthrobs from Twilight. Bram Stoker's vampire is nasty, hook nosed, and more ghastly then anything. Anyway, it was a really fun read for this time of year! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get the real story of Dracula.
To add to the fun, right after I finished reading about the grand Count's demise, I convinced Jared to curl up with me, a bowl of candy, and this vampire slaying movie:

It's been a great day! Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

Martin and Kristin Perez said...

It sounds like you had a GREAT Halloween. I am SO happy that you were able to read Bram Stokers Dracula! Isn't it a superb masterpiece! I just adore Stokers haunting narrative and ingenious writing style. Love ya!

The Leonards said...

I LOVE that movie! We usually watch that every year too! I can't believe you read Dracula so close to Halloween! I think I would have woke up with nightmares on a regular basis! Have you ever read "The Historia" by Kostova? It is about Vlad Tempes and very interesting. If you haven't read it you should read it next Halloween:) Did you end up making any Halloween goodies?

Bonnie said...

I'm going to have to re read Dracula now- the last time I read it was just an edited edition, for kids you know? And I LOVED your movie choice! Perfect for Halloween! Miss ya a ton!

Tiffany said...

Hey you two! Mike found your blog the other day...so glad to have some sort of contact with you! We're so glad to hear that you're doing so well! {This book scared the heck out of me! Loved it though!}